You know how last week I was all I-never-complete-projects-because-I-procastinate-procrastinating? Well this weekend it’s almost as if my body was on a mission to prove me a liar. I’m practically a project queen now!!
So let’s get started. Last week one of our local craft stores had daily sales to get us all ready for the impending Mother’s Day by putting certain items on sale, determined for every mother to receive a handmade foamy picture frame, or one of those handy clay ashtray/bazeeblebug thing-a-majiggys we all made as children. Fortunately for me, that meant one day they put acrylic paints on sale and though I’ve never painted a picture on my own in. my. life. I decided I must make an attempt at becoming the next Rembrandt. Alas, weekend project number one is born….
I looked online and found the following picture for my inspiration:
I thought it would look great in my living room after I paint and redecorate like I want. Really though, I just wanted to give it a try and see what happened. We have a local place that charges around $35 and basically gives you a 3-hour art class where they walk you through step-by-step how to paint a different painting each night. It’s really a fun girls night out. I’d highly recommend it.
I’ve gone twice and one day I will post the pictures on here of the monstrosities I produced and allow you to compare them to the originals. I don’t know if my mental translation of the instructions or my distinct inability to follow direct orders is at fault, however, to look at my paintings you would think maybe they sat me in another room and forced me to listen to the instructions through a wall. Or two.
Needless to say, I didn’t have high hopes for this instructions-free painting. I mean, if I can’t follow instructions from an actual experienced painter, what could I possibly expect when I let myself loose with no supervision? Well……here’s the result:
“Genius!” Is that what you just screamed in your mind? Me too, friend. Me too. I feel you.
Ok, so my intent was for that to be my sole project for the weekend. However, the excitement of painting genius apparently wears off pretty quickly and I was a little stir-crazy. It was a rainy day so there were no outside activities to partake in, sadly.
My fella friend bought me one of those plant-in-a-pot deals about two weeks ago and it’s been sitting untouched on my counter ever since. Every time I see it I feel guilty because the poor guy obviously doesn’t understand what a non-completer I am and he spent at least a couple of bucks on this. It’s even worse when he’s at my house and I just know he’s seeing its incomplete, untouched resting place each time. With this in mind, I decided I would surprise him on his next visit with a completely potted flower bulb!
Here’s what I started with:
About 30 minutes later – because I had to wait for the included soil block to expand – this is what it magically became:
This is my first attempt at growing a flower from a bulb, so we’ll see how this pans out. Even Oliver seemed to be a little skeptical…
Oh, ye of little faith.
Ok so the plant thing is a little less impressive on the ‘genius’ scale. (Oh. You do remember my Rembrandt, don’t you? I’m not much of a bragger, obviously.) I did, however, have to find a way to compensate for the shortage of soil, so I pulled a dead gardenia out of its pot and transferred the necessary dirt. Very MacGyver-esque.
The weekend rolls on around to Sunday and another of my spontaneous project purchases has been taunting me for weeks now.
Dun Dun duuuuuuuuuuuuuuun……
Another gift from my fella friend was a sewing kit at Christmas. I’d expressed an interest in learning to sew and had even crafted a canvas log carrier for his Christmas gift. Of course, since later December that sewing kit had found a permanent home in my crafty office/project room that never. gets. used. and was yet another of his gifts that taunted me with its lack of use.
So anyway, I bought myself a sewing machine thinking I’d make myself some curtains. Sewing machine arrives. I remove it from the box, do the minimal ‘assembly’ it required. I pulled out the manual and went over all the parts. I went to the local fabric store and bought some scrap fabrics for experimenting. Then I proceeded to ‘pin’ a multitude of other sewing projects on my Pinterest board. In the meantime, the sewing machine sat. And sat. And collected dust. And sat some more. As did that Christmas gift from my fella friend.
On Saturday I thought I’d try my hand at loading a bobbin, and threading the machine. Neither of these things have I done since maybe high school Home Ec class. I must say, I was pretty rock star.
Sunday I finally got brave. I decided I had to start somewhere and I really wanted to be able to tell my fella friend I’d used that sewing kit and actually have something to show him. *Drum roll please*
I made my very own tissue holder! A completely unnecessary item, I’m fully aware, but I made it and it’s mine! All mine!
I did document the step-by-step process and am planning on posting to go through that process next for those of you who might be interested. In the meantime, I’m a project chick now!